Skip to main content

Major weather events may never hit your area, but it’s best to be prepared. Securis wants to help make doing that as easy as possible. So, we've broken down what you need to do into easy steps.

Start by being sure your insurance coverage reflects the current state of your home.

“If you’ve done anything that increases the value of your home or its contents – like building an addition or remodeling – talk with your insurance agent,” says Shane Jensen of Securis. “That way you can review your coverage to decide whether it’s sufficient or if any protections should be updated.”

Below are some questions you’ll want to consider.

Do you have coverage for additional living expenses?

This coverage is intended to help pay for the increased cost of living away from home if your house is uninhabitable due to a covered loss. This may include payments for the additional costs of food and a place to stay. Talk to your Encompass agent about the coverages available to you.

Do you have coverage for floods?

Most homeowners policies do not usually cover flood damage. And here’s something to think about: One-third of all flood insurance claims last year came from areas not considered high risk. So even if you don’t live in a flood zone, you may want to consider purchasing flood coverage.

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is the primary source for flood insurance in the United States. You can go to their website at or contact an Encompass agent for more information. NOTE: There is often a 30-day waiting period after you buy a flood insurance policy before flood coverage takes effect.

Do you have comprehensive car coverage?

If your car is damaged by anything other than a collision (like a falling tree), collision coverage won’t protect you – you’ll also need comprehensive coverage. And if you have to leave your car at the repair shop, you’ll also want to consider rental-car coverage.

Be sure to contact us to review coverages before you have a claim.